Saturday, July 24, 2010

Family Fun: A Day At The Zoo

We took a trip to what you could call our local Zoo, it is an hours drive away, but the closest one to us. We've never been before so we had no idea what to expect, except that it wasn't a huge zoo. Perfect for little C though and I knew the other two would enjoy the day regardless.

It definitely needs some money spent on the place but I guess without public support and paying customers it is hard to do, bit of a catch 22 really. The gardens are very established and it really has so much potential to be fabulous.

For a quiet couple of hours out (not really enough for a full day) though it was nice.

So of course we couldn't possibly go to the zoo without sharing plenty of animal photo's. I must remember to take my second zoom with me to these sorts of places they are always better for the animal enclosures that are that little bit further away.

Petting and feeding the kangaroo's, although I think they just wanted to snooze.


ahh the cuddly koalas are always a hit!


K loved this tree and would have been happy to play there for hours I think.


Peacocks, galore. We spent the entire day looking for stray feathers but no luck.


C has had a little fetish with donkeys for awhile. He has never seen one in real life before and after watching these two I'm not sure he will feel the same way about them.

I wasn't able to get the shot with both of them in it at the same time, but this is exactly what they were both doing (heads held to the side like that, one to each side) begging for food. It is hard to tell but they really didn't open their mouths much, just raised their upper lips and showed all of their teeth, as hideous as they were lol!! The kids were asking why someone hasn't brushed their teeth, cause they sure needed too.

It was so funny, they knew the little brown bags of food and you all you had to do was raise your hand and they would go into the pose. Sure gave us a giggle.


This iguana was stunning.


Koalas


Camels


These are some sort of Mountain Goat (I've forgotten the breed now) and let's just say that no one was impressed with this stop off. K was extremely frustrated because she wanted to feed the babies and the bigger ones just kept butting in. B was scared they were going to bite his finger off, so as soon as they touched his hand full of feed he pulled it away and it went all over the ground (by the end he managed to feed a couple)  and C was absolutely not getting down from daddy's shoulders!


Snoozing Red Panda.


Boa Constrictor.


Baby Crocodile

Very spiky.


C really wasn't sure about touching this one.


They have a small farm enclosure area, which K loved immensely.


And what's a day at the Zoo without an Ice Cream!


A yummy choc mint ice cream, just perfect for smearing over one's face.

We had a lovely day togetherm just the 5 of us.

I am linking this this to Science Sunday.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

I visited you the other day from the Picket Fence list and really like your blog so had to come back this morning to read more. :) I loved seeing your family's trip to the zoo. Looks like your kids had a great time. We just visited our local zoo last week and the kids had a blast. No Koalas here thought. :) I've barely had time to get the photos out of my camera since then. You've inspired me to get moving on a post about it as I had planned.

One of the best moments of the day was when we found a spot where I had taken a picture of my 2 oldest when they were only 4 and 5 1/2. It was my 4 yr. old's birthday and they sat together on a big rock overlooking the water. I took the pic from the behind. The older one had his arm around the younger one's shoulder. We have always kept that picture in a frame. When they saw the spot this time, they asked me to take their pic again with the same pose. They are now 14 & 15 1/2!!! So precious.

I'd love it if you'd come visit and follow me too.
http://raisingfutureleaders.blogspot.com

kewkew said...

That is one cool tree! How neat, being able to get right in there with the animals. It's been a year since we went to a zoo, and we won't be heading there for a while, it was almost 3 hours away. We do have one 1 hour away, but it is just a little rinky dink place and all the animals are out of reach.
Looks like you had a great time!

Felicity said...

I'd LOVE to hold a koala! And I just adore red pandas - they look so cuddly!
Glad you had a good day.

Ticia said...

Okay, but how cool that you got to go in the animal enclosures. I'm jealous!

Kylie said...

Hi Lisa, I have visted and spent some time on your lbog. I enjoyed it. I will need to check if I 'followed' and sorry I didn't leave a comment. :)

Oh wow how precious with the photo, all of those years later. :)

Felicity, isn't it funny how the things we don't see often are so interesting to us. I love racoons and squirrels etc because they are never here in our zoos, well not that I have seen anyway. But Koalas (although are endanagered in the wild) are everywhere in our zoo's so they don't offer that same amount of fascintation.

Ticia, they were the animal shows, which were the highlight of the day.

Phyllis said...

I have never seen a zoo where you can touch the animals (other than petting zoo portions with farm animals...not the same.) Very cool experience.

Phyllis said...

Kylie,
I wrote another post about chemistry that backed up and started more from the beginning. It might answer the questions you had. If you are still unsure about what I am saying, please ask me what is unclear and perhaps I can explain.

asliceofsmithlife said...

Kylie, great photos to remember a fun day! I'm glad your kids are feeling well enough now to enjoy the zoo :-)

Serendipityissweet said...

Wow, looks like an amazing visit! My kids would LOVE that. How exciting :)

Just found your blog and I'm your newest follower. Great job!

We homeschool too. Always love seeing what other homeschool families are up to ;)

Lisa said...

Hi Kylie,

Thanks for visiting me. I don't see you on my "followers" list but the other day someone told me it wasn't showing up, just a white space. Others could see it though.

If you don't see it, just click on the "Follow" button at the top left of the page. You have to be signed into your account to see it.

Another way to add me is to go on your Dashboard and click "Add" under "Blogs I'm Following" and put in my URL: http://raisingfutureleaders.blogspot.com

Sorry for any inconvenience. Hope you'll come back and visit soon.
TY! Lisa xoxo

btw, I clicked your Picket Fence button. :)

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a lovely comment :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs